Post Thanks / Like
    I had a person from the import car club i`m apart of come over today for a detail. I`ve done other peoples cars before... but never charged. He came over and i did a basic wash/clay, then some swirl removal with FI-II and a PC and toped it off with bf polish and 4 coats of BF. It looked amazing.. even for a green civic. He seemed really impressed with the results... i sure was. The whole process took about 4.5 hours (had to take a break for the x-files...) I told him he just had to pay me $15 for the suplies i used.. then what ever small tip he thinks i deserve... he gave me $60... i tried giving him back 20 telling him that was too much because i enjoy doing it.. but he insisted. I must say.. it feels good seeing a `customer` impressed like that. Hopefully he`ll spread the word and i`ll have a part time business in no time. Better yet, our neibor does body work. He saw me outside and asked if i wanted a job... said they had a `kid` doing detailing for them right now (freshly painted) but he might not work out... and because of how `crazy about detailing` i am, i`d have the job if i wanted it.

All i have to say is... THANKS!!! 100x times to all of you. Especially David (putting this togeather and responding to my posts), and redcarguy (showed how amazing a properly kept car can look like) , and DK (tons of advice in several threads), yosteve (love those MFs), John Ross (inspiration) and everyone else who`s responed to the questions i`ve asked. This board is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like i said he was part of an Import club out here in CO... he just posted this in the forum "I just got my car detailed and all I can say is WOW! It`s smoother than a baby`s behind, better then when I drove it off the lot 2 years ago. It`s really shiny and has a gorgeous wet look to it. Paul knows how to detail cars very well, and I highly recommend his services! I think you`d be hard pressed to find a better deal anywhere!" ... feels good hearing that

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure hope you will start charging a lot more now that you have one under your belt. I think I charged $35 for the first detail I ever did. I really didn`t have any idea what I should be charging.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    most of these guys (at least the one`s lined up so far) are guys from the car club.. i feel bad charing anything at all... i don`t thing rubbing deserves to get paid that much. I just do it to make a little side cash.. i don`t need a lot.. really just enough to fund my obession

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax, I don`t think he wants to do this professionally. I say charge what you want if you enjoy doing the work. No need charging them $140 for a complete detail or anything like that.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intel486 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Scottwax, I don`t think he wants to do this professionally. I say charge what you want if you enjoy doing the work. No need charging them $140 for a complete detail or anything like that. [/b]</blockquote>
    I understand that, but they should show their appreciation then with some serious cash for the obvious time and expertise Dr. Jones is putting into their cars.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Scottwax [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>

I understand that, but they should show their appreciation then with some serious cash for the obvious time and expertise Dr. Jones is putting into their cars. [/b]</blockquote>
    I agree with Scottwax on this issue. Depending on what leve of detailing was done, $60.00 is just a starting point. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, the average wash/wax is at a minimum $50.00 and that includes very cheap wax like the kind that comes in a 55 gallon drum.

Now that this Dr. Jones has a small following, I`d up the price and keep "customer service" #1. The customer will love it. Rule of thumb, $20.00 per/hr is a good starting point for this type of service. If it takes you only 2 hours, then $40.00 is okay, but if it takes 3 or more hours for a true detailing (inside and out) you would be doing a dis-service to yourself and your craft.

Thread Information