Post Thanks / Like

Got a monkey, and he was evil!

The old farmers I use to work for back in my teen years would say that the "monkey" would get on your back if you didn`t drink water. Well, as know-it-all teenagers, we`d laugh about it - until you realized that you AREN`T sweating and feel about as weak as a new born kitten. Let me tell you, old folks aren`t dumb, they didn`t get to be old by being stupid!
    So, fast foward to this weekend. I`m retired, but occasionally work way too much for friends. This was the case, see, I ain`t use to the heat and working outside like I was back in the day, so I had forgot about the monkey. I worked all day Friday on a SUV, then all day Saturday on a ski boat (yeah - real good friend!) and Sunday, the wife had her list of chores. It was later Sunday afternoon I was relaxing with the family, enjoying Miller Time, and grilling, that I really set myself up. The final nail - cup of coffee and some doughnuts after dinner. You probably know that beer and coffee cause you to pee - a lot, and when you`re already down on body fluids, well, say hello to Bonzo!
    I got up Monday morning, struggled to brush my teeth and though I would pass out. I felt like I had a bad fever. It took a few quarts of gatoraid to get me back to normal (no jokes)

So, watch out when it`s hot out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a monkey, and he was evil!

heat exhaustion ain`t fun

be careful, be safe
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I`m glad to hear you ended up alright. Seems like it could have been more serious with all that work in the heat and not hydrating. Also I would like to add if it is hot out and you think you are hydrating but not having to ever pee then you still need more fluids. I play golf often in the summer in the desert and it is weird drinking around 10 waters and a couple gatorades never once having to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely understand. When I detailed full time I worked out of my garage. As of right this minute it is 96º and 62% humidity....low for this time of year. You can imagine what July and August are like. Although I always drank tons of water one day I felt dizzy and almost took a header onto the concrete floor. THAT got my attention and helped me decide to slowly bring the detailing gig to a halt.

When it got to the point where it took two days to mow the yard I hired someone for that chore although I enjoyed doing it. Sometimes you just gotta admit to yourself that it`s simply time to back off....not an easy thing to do either.

Post Thanks / Like

I hydrate constantly. If you are peeing yellow, you need water

Glad you are okay

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for reminding us lou. a lot of times when we are detailing, it`s easy to overlook hydration(before, during, and after) when you are just trying to finish your work.

Post Thanks / Like

As they say, often you feel hungry your body wants water...not food.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I often skip on eating/drinking when detailing because i am rushing for time. I did have to remind myself at least about water..Especially when working in the sun, you start to see white!

Post Thanks / Like

After a few years at Fort Benning, GA, Fort Gordon, GA, Fort Sill, OK, and Fort Bliss, TX, I`m well accustomed to heat and hot weather injuries.

In addition to water, make sure you`re eating food with a decent amount of sodium. If you`re missing on that part, sports drinks will help more than water. I`ve treated more than a few of my Soldiers for heat stroke...

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice. I am a advid water drinker in the heat. And at work. Power/gator/aid is also good. Worse thing you can drink in the heat is...

POP or BEER.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Thread Information