Post Thanks / Like
    I`m new, but I`m following everyone`s instructions and getting great results - thanks all

The car I`m working on is going to require some work with 3M FI-II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound and then 3M-SMR, which will ultimately be followed by Z5 and probably Z2.

Does the use of the SMR (on the entire car) eliminate the need to clay bar, or does the clay bar do certain thing the the SMR will not do as far as surface prep? Thank.

Post Thanks / Like
    What it does is remove surface contaminents (ones you can feel) without abrading the clearcoat in order to remove them. Claying also makes subsequent polishing steps easier as the paint surface is much smoother.

Use compounds and SMR to fix below-the-surface flaws like scratches, stains, and swirls.

Try the SMR on a small section before using the Fine Cut to see if it will do the job. No sense in using an aggressive polish when one is not needed.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    ya I would still use the clay :up
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    bretfraz is 100% correct. Clay is a great product, you really can feel the difference afterwards.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    I would clean the car real good, clay it, and then reevaluate the finish for swirls so you can plan a method of attack.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all – I did the clay bar and it really did make a difference.

This is a case where I’m trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Needed a third family car, and with a friend of a friend was able to go to one of the dealer auctions and sort of bid on my own. Ended up with a ’99 Subaru coming off lease, at an extremely good price – luck, right place at right time, and it needs a repaint. I bought it knowing full well that it would need to be painted; it looks like it was owned by a bag lady that parked it in a construction site, and never took care of the exterior. Interior and mechanics are fine. Not going to paint it until next April and need to get it looking reasonably presentable for the winter. Lots of scuffs, scratches, chips, mars, little dings, and a lot of stuff that I’m not even sure what it is.

Scrubbed the whole car down with Fin-L-Wash (Prep-sol) three times. Scrubbed it down with denatured alcohol (after the Prep-sol there was still stuff that I have no idea what it is). Then scrubbed the whole thing down with vinegar, which did not help. Used a few different things to scrape off what I think was little drops of dried concrete slurry.

Then used a PC with a CMA yellow pad and the 3M Fine Cut on the three bag lady sections; almost complete success on two and “good enough†on one. Then used the PC with a CMA white pad and the 3M SMR. Than clay bar, which picked up more contaminants and a Dawn wash. A couple coats of Z5, some Z16, a little Back to Black and it looks pretty good – I’ll try to get a picture.

:bounce This is my second detail after joining Autopia. I can`t believe how great it is here.

Temperature Note: I mixed a little more than  oz of Z5 with 4 drops of ZFX, and applied with a PC and a CMA grey pad. It was late afternoon, sunny, clear, 45 degrees when I started the first coat. It was down to 40 degrees by the time I finished the second coat. On both coats, I went around the car applying, and then immediately wiped it off with no problem and no waiting.

Thread Information