Post Thanks / Like
    I just got the policy for my new Accord. The policy states that they will use aftermarket parts and I have to pay the difference if I want OEM parts.

Consumer Reports did a study and found that some aftermarket parts can be quite shoddy. I think it was body parts.

So I`m wondering, do all insurance companies have this clause and how important do you think this issue is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by sync

I just got the policy for my new Accord. The policy states that they will use aftermarket parts and I have to pay the difference if I want OEM parts.

Consumer Reports did a study and found that some aftermarket parts can be quite shoddy. I think it was body parts.

So I`m wondering, do all insurance companies have this clause and how important do you think this issue is.

I don`t know if all of them do, but a lot of them have gone to this, and it`s a fight if you insist on OEM. Basically, you may end up paying the difference whether you like it or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    most of the major national insurers I`ve looked at (Progressive, Geico, AllState, etc) insist on OEM parts even if you want something cheaper. They will pay for those parts.

Friend wanted to have his Impreza repaired, but it was too expensive using OEM stuff. He asked for aftermarket and the insurance company turned him down. His option was to have the car written off by the isurance company as a loss, take 70% of repair cost in cash and keep the car to fix himself. He decided it was too much trouble and let the insurance company take the car. Plus, the car would have a title changed to salvage - try getting $$ for that when it comes time to sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of state insurance commissions are considering making it mandatory for insurance companies to use OEM parts. If I were you, I`d call your state representatives and insurance commissioner and make your feelings known.

In California, Century 21 uses OEM parts for body work, but aftermarket parts for engine work.
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- Zaino

1999 MB C280 -- 1Z Glanz

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeeze...what insurance company is that?? Our insurance company (Allstate) gave us an option to choose if we want OEM or aftermarket and we always told them to use OEM parts because I know their parts are much better than aftermarket parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by medic

most of the major national insurers I`ve looked at (Progressive, Geico, AllState, etc) insist on OEM parts even if you want something cheaper. They will pay for those parts.

Not sure where you got your info from but you may have got wrong info. I work for one of the above companies and we do use a/m parts. It depends on the year & milage of the vehicle. It also depends if it is saftey or structural part.

If the insurance company makes you use a a/m part, then they are liable for the warranty on that part. A good repair choice is to take your car to a Pro shop or a shop the insurance company recommends you to use. Most of the time they will give you a lifetime warranty with the repairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NY detailer

Not sure where you got your info from but you may have got wrong info. I work for one of the above companies and we do use a/m parts. It depends on the year & milage of the vehicle. It also depends if it is saftey or structural part.

I stand corrected. Had a friend get into a accident and they wanted to get an aftermaket intake,spoiler, and stuff and the insurance company wouldn`t let him even if they were cheaper or he was willing to pay the difference. they said they restore vehicle to the original condition they were in. then again this company had a requirement that he had to send pictures of his car when he renewed his policy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Used to work for insurer (27 years) up here in Great White North and quite frankly some aftermarket parts were fine but a lot of them were not up to Good (read fussy) car standard. Although your US policies may differ in wording the bottom line will be that they agree to return it to Pre-Accident condition. Just make sure that any repairs are up to standards. There was a well reported case against State Farm Insurance a couple of years ago that exploded into a massive class action suit over AM parts. It started over one header panel that didn`t fit properly and ended up costing the insurer millions. Talk about being stupid for a few bucks. You have a right to complain and have your vehicle restored to the same condition it was before the accident. NYD suggested picking a PRO shop and my only suggestion is to try to pick the best repairer you can (ask for references) because good competent shops won`t put up with shoddy parts.

Thread Information