Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, tempted by "auto care usa"`s idea on advertising, I gave his DMV Violation ads a try. Using pink computer paper, I placed three on each sheet, with auto care facts on the back. I`d given out some on a few cars at the grocery stores Thursday evening and didn`t get any response, so I went out with more today.

We live in a waterfront home community, and rather than get in trouble with the "board" members, I took some to the condo/housing development next to us. Going around and placing a DMV Violation card and a pricing & services list on several cars, I went home and waited. Well, so far, only got one nasty response!

She called about the "DMV Violation". I replied by saying, yes, that`s just an adverisement for my detailing operation--she didn`t like the response, saying "It`s a real insult to me, my husband just washed the car". I told her again that it was just an advertising method, but she told me it was "horrible and stupid" and that I "should never do it again". All the while, still being the nasty b*&&% and then hung up on me! Oh yeah, I was also "soliciting", but I guess that one is my fault.

I do wonder though if I made a mistake by going in there at all. It`s mainly condos and houses that are attatched in groups, some with driveways and others just lined by parking spaces out front. It`s also rather public, with a very open and public waterfront area and boat launch for both people who live there any anyone else who comes. So, what was the big deal!

I`ll post more information on the DMV Violation slips I made later, but you can find the info from auto care usa in one of these posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought by inserting the "Beautiful car, deserves a spa" and "I want the ultimate for my car", I had tied in with using them on both clean and dirty cars. Well, I guess not...

Anyway, here`s one I scanned in:

DMV Violation Ads

Post Thanks / Like
    just my

But I wouldnt like anyone puting anything on my cars, that ticks me off:nono

I have had flyer on the satty oneday when we got out of the mall for carpet cleaning, I called them and told them how I really felt and then I passed their name to everyone I came in to contact with and told them NOT to ever calll them...

This is one of the things that makes me not happy.......
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t give up, keep at it. If this approach didn`t work try another one. Remember you can`t please everyone.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh boy,

I hate anything placed on my car, never mind a note telling me I`m in violation of a "dirty car statute". I would scale down on passing those out. Maybe offer them as a kind of buisness card, or give them to customers who might pass them along to friends.:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like things being placed on my car either. I don`t like someone messing with my vehicle and its one more thing to throw away.

That said, I thought your ad was clever, and liked it. But, its a PC world, and it seems like most can`t take a joke.
    -Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is a bad marketing ploy. Many people will perceive it as your unsolicited criticism of their car and they most likely will think nasty thoughts about you and your business.

Kelly

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree; think about a spa trying to attract women to come in for nail polish, massage, facial, etc.

The pitch is that this is going to be a pleasant experience, you`re going to be pampered by caring professionals, and you`re going to leave looking and feeling better for the time/money you`ve spent.

Now, go up to a woman - no matter how sexy or how ugly - and convince her to give you money & let you work on her by telling her, `Hey, you look ugly! You`re not taking care of yourself! You`re a (bad/lazy/slothful/ignorant) person, but *I* can help you!`

Women would not flock to your spa with a pitch like that. I wouldn`t feel good about a detailer who leads with, `Your car looks like sh%t`.

How about following the lead of the female spas? Something along the lines of, `Treat yourself to a sparkling, better-than-new car. A pleasant smell when you slip behind the wheel, everything cleaner than when it rolled out of the dealership`

Jeez, I sound like a friggin` marketing schmuck! :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that slip was cool. Great idea, but as other people said they`re gonna be pissed at you for touching their car or criticizing it. I`d take that to your local newspaper and take out an ad with it in it unless you live in a pretty big place because a newpaper ad would be too expensive. But the ad is definitely cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever seen the vidoe of the cop pulling over the man in the Iszuzu (sp?) Trooper? Then the cop gives the m,an the ticket, he goes cray, ears up the ticket and throws it at the cop and the cop makes him pick it up?

I try to act like the cop in situations like that. No matter where you go there are some real A holes out there, and the only thing you can do about them is laugh inside while they are making fools of themselves.

I was thinking about trying that form of advertising, but some people just wouldn`t be able to take it. They just can`t deal with somone telling them "you car is dull". Thats why theri car is dull. They can`t take constructive criticism.

On the other hand, you see a car that looks good, but could be better, you might want to talk to them in person. Offer $10 off their first detail or somthing. Make sure you compliment them on their car though.....

Post Thanks / Like
    rhenriksen is right on the money. What you did amounts to writing wash me and your phone# in their dust. A lot of people don`t like flyers, the newspaper ad is a better idea. No matter which way you advertise, concentrate on the pampering idea. Everyone can run their car through an autowash or go to costcutters, they want to know that their getting premium service if they pay more money. I`d concentrate on different groups of people - people selling a car so they get the most money for it, rich people who just detail since it goes with status, regular people either for special occasions or bringing out the new car in an old car "Want a new car for $XX? I can`t do that, but I can make your old car seem like new." You can use that or something like that. Just don`t say you`re giving them a new car.

Never insult or imply that a car hasn`t been taken care of. Some people might get the message, but they`ll go to your competition instead. If you can, maybe give out a couple of freebies. Do a fantastic job. Give them some business cards if they don`t mind. Ask, don`t demand. Word of mouth works, but it`s not a fast process. A great idea is to put a business car in a passenger side window of YOUR car after its been detailed. Drivers will see your car and possibly read it. Of course, if you let it get dirty at all, you`ll want to take that card out of the window. Good luck.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One other thought: there was a thread earlier about what people wear when detailing. I can totally understand (living in Houston!) about wearing as little as possible when outside detailing, but investing a couple hundred bucks in polo shirts with your business name embroidered on them makes a big, very positive impression. Wear shorts w. a belt (which you can take off/change out of when working) with the polo shirt, print up business cards, and people will take you seriously. Doesn`t matter if you`re working out of your trunk.

I work out of my house doing LAN administration for a bunch of different clients, and have no problems :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    i received a similar notice on my car for body repair that pissed me off.

The note appeard handwritten but after some inspection it was just a photocopy of a written ad. Anyway, it says, sorry I hit your car, give me a call at xxx-xxxx so we can talk it over.

Needless to say my first reaction was to flip out since my car was parked well away from anyone else and they would have had to be an idiot to hit it. Anyway after walking around the car and not notiving any damange I was a little confused. I think say about 3 other people walking around their cars as well. We finally noticed in small writing that it was a company ad. When you called the number you got a body shop.

I agree, it was an interesting apprach, but when your first reaction to a solicitation is shock and horror, I`m not sure how many positive responses you`ll get. Just seems like the tactic will turn of more people then it will impress.:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it`s now starting to hit me what it was I did. But, it seemed like a rather good idea at first (even NY Perfect Detailing was going to try it), but now it does seem kind of harsh. Then again, that`s the point, it`s shock advertising. Maybe a little too shocking, but still, it does get people to know your name (though it doesn`t seem to be in a good way now!).

I will not be using the DMV slips anymore, and will try to spread more through word of mouth. I`ve been trying to do this for sometime, but I often don`t come into contact with people that would care about having their car detailed.

Oh well, just a learning experience I guess! A bad one, but I still learned something. Got my business cards from Vistaprint on Saturday, maybe I`ll have to start giving those out more, but not to the people I may have already alienated. Better yet, I may start looking for another form of occupation soon, as business isn`t picking up too well.

What do you guys think of a few nice, clean, elegant flyers and some proper business cards?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm... interesting results. I might still do it though.

I might try to think of something different for the top though instead of "diry motor vehicles"
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information