Thread: PC and wax?

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the CMA DM kit and am waiting for my PC to arrive today. I`ve read all the posts about using SMR, FI II, etc with the PC for get rid of swirls; but not much about the PC and wax.

The terry bonnets that came with the DM kit look awefully coarse, I don`t think I`m going to touch my car w. them!

I was thinking about the following:

Apply wax (I`ve got Zymol carbon right now) by hand on 2`x2` area

Use PC & grey pad to work the wax in

buff off with MF towel

Am I on the right track here? The thing about Zymol that`s time-consuming & tiring is buffing all the wax back off by hand. I`m hoping that w. the grey pad & the PC on a low speed, I can a) work the wax in as well as possible, and b) pick up a portion of the wax into the pad, leaving less to be buffed off by hand.

thanks,

RNH

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I`d read that thread, but it didn`t really put my mind as ease. It focused almost entirely on polishing, not waxing. The terry bonnets that came w. the DM kit looked really coarse, and I`d found one thread where someone used them & had bad results (I think they also had some grit/debris in one or more pads/bonnets). Do other people use terry bonnets (from what vendor?) with good results? How many, if any, use MF bonnets (not mentioned in the above thread)? How many think PC & waxing is useless & should be avoided at all costs?

Would the grey finishing pad on the hand-applied wax accomlish anything, or would removing it w. a MF bonnet `work the wax in` and buff off the wax in one step?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think Zymol (especially Carbon) calls for application with the PC. Zymol explicitly states to apply is back and forth strokes, NOT circular motions. I guess it can`t hurt to try, but I`ve also never heard of "working in" zymol carbon.

I`ve never tried the terry bonnets, but they ARE made specifically for removing wax. As coarse as you may *think* they are, that is what they`re for. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, had my first PC session! Loved it, of course although I was kind of nervous putting it to my fender the first time.

When I`d finished w. SMR & MF buff, I tried applying the Zymol by hand as before (linear strokes, not circular). I`d found some terry bonnets right down the street from me at a wholesale carwash supply place that were much softer/thicker pile than CMA`s - at $1.99 per! I put one of those over a lambswool pad & ran it over the wax at a speed of about 2. Produced a really interesting pattern in the wax, that`s for sure! :bounce

After running the terry bonnet back & forth over the wax for about a minute, I buffed off the remainder of the wax w. a MF towel. I don`t know if it was the MF (I`d always used cotton previously) or the PC/terry, but the excess wax came off REALLY easily! I waxed in a *fraction* of the time it usually takes me - I`m stoked!

Thread Information