Post Thanks / Like
    We were discussing NuFinish on our car club site and someone in San Antonio Texas experimented with this:

He washed his (black) car and waxed it with Meguiar`s Gold Class to get that deep carnauba shine.

Then he applied a layer of NuFinish. He said the carnauba shine was there but bird poop just glided off.

I can attest to the protective power of NuFInish because I had bird poop baked into my 81 T-bird`s finish for 3 days (85F+ ambient, full sun). I finally decided to get rid of it and used a wet rag (water) and swabbed it off. The poop just glided right off.

I used to have to scrub any amount of bird poop off of the finish.

My theory was that the carnauba wax would break down at 250F or so - which serves as the base layer for the Silicone resin Nufinish (with a breakdown temp of 450F+)...

So wouldn`t the carnauba break down first rendering the NuFinish useless?

And I performed the propeller test on my T-bird:

My grille was painted with Rustoleum glossy back.

I used NuFInish and didn`t get any black paint on the applicator rag nor did i get any on the removing rag.

As a solvent/cleaner wax, it`s pretty horrible. I couldn`t clean the mildest stuff off of my 2000 Crown Vic`s clear coat finish, but as a protectant it did one heck of a job on the T-bird. It beads water like a new car, except the finish resembles 500 grit sandpaper!!

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    NuFinish is actually a pretty harsh cleaner. The Gold Class wax would be gone if you applied NuFinish OVER the GC.

Post Thanks / Like
    How harsh is it? I couldn`t clean the mildest of gunk on my clearcoat finish (i.e. a little water spot left over from washing the car). I had to buff it a bit to get it off!

Small bugs and stuff required more care to remove as well.

So in essence the carnauba would be gone as you finished applying NuFinish? Interesting - but this person noted that the carnauba shine was in fact there...

Post Thanks / Like
    MGC is NOT a carnauba.:nono
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a minute, wait a minute......................

Hasn`t this exact topic already been discussed to death?

You`ve created threads previously discussing the merits of NuFinish vs. various Meguiar`s products. You`ve even posted MSDS info.

Why are we covering the exact same ground again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Becuse THIS person used MGC THEN NuFinish

He used Gold Class to bring out that deep carnauba shine (I admit MGC does make the car look very sharp) and used NuFInish to give it the polymer protection.

MGC is a carnauba product. How else do you explain that it lasts only 4 weeks?

Rather than use 3M IHG - which is a PITA to remove, would MGC compromise the polymer resin protection of NuFinish or any other polymer product?

Post Thanks / Like
    How harsh is it - give it a sniff!

There`s no way that there was any MGC left after applying NuFinish properly.

The only benefit that I think he might have gotten was from mild cleaners in the MCG. However, using MGC wax as a paint cleaner is odd IMHO.

I think he would have gotten better results if he had done the reverse procedure (NuFinish, then MCG), but I still dont think it`s a good route to take.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Gold Class by itself brings out a DEEP shine.

I have the same car with about the same color (His is black, mine is dark dark blue) and Gold Clas definitely brings out the shine but it lasts only 4 weeks TOPS.

I don`t really care if the Gold Class is gone after the nuFinish - I just wanted to know if any of the GC would compromise the NuFinish`s formulation (reduce its protection)?

These two products are inexpensive and very readily available. Maybe $14 for both products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, lemme put this another way....

It`s like eating a breath mint, and following up by eating a garlic clove. No real logic to the sequence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RH

Ok, lemme put this another way....

It`s like eating a breath mint, and following up by eating a garlic clove. No real logic to the sequence.

LOL!

What I don`t get is, why would you use either of these to clean your paint or to remove contaminants from paint?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    What I don`t get is, why would you use either of these to clean your paint or to remove contaminants from paint?!?

I dunno. He didn`t use either to remove contaminants.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mistake! :doh I mis-read the post!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Metroplex:

A couple of things: When you say, “So wouldn`t the carnauba break down first rendering the NuFinish useless?†do you mean, that since the MGC is the base substrate on which NF is being applied, once the substrate is gone, so goes the NF? Yeah, that sounds pretty logical, IMO.

Furthermore, if the durability of NF is dependent (or at least partially dependent) on its ability to bond properly to your paint, then yesâ€.using MGC as a base to NF WOULD compromise it’s durability.

However, like the previous posters, I think applying NF would remove most of the MGC and you probably will NOT have the aforementioned bonding issues. But I’m completely theorizing right now. Perhaps you could do us all a favor and do a side-by-side comparison on a panel and see if you can tell a difference in shine? One one side of the panel, do NFâ€on the other, do MGC first, then NF. Provided that the panel is properly prepped, I would think that any visible difference in shine would mean that the NF application did NOT remove all or any of the MGC base.

Thread Information