Post Thanks / Like
    first of all, I don`t know if the car has a clear coat but I suspect not. I need to figure that out first so I know whether to order Z3 or just use the Z5 that I already have on hand.

the paint has some slight fading and minor swirling. what should I prep the paint with after the dawn wash and before appying the zaino?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Well you could use any number of things depending on how bad the condition of the car really is. A mild polish like 3M SMR or 3M FI-II should work quite well. Make sure to re-wash after using any polishes to remove any oils prior to using Z.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    FI = "Finesse It" right?

what is SMR? I couldn`t figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    FI-II= 3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish Finishing Material

SMR= 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover (3M part# 39009)

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have plenty of meguiar`s medallion paint cleaner and some #7 show car glaze. will these products accomplish the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    The #7 Show Car Glaze has no cleaning properties, so it will do nothing but cover things up. I have used the medallion paint cleaner and I don`t think to highly of it. To do the job correctly you will need a series of abrasive polishes like listed above.

Post Thanks / Like
    okay, thanks. looking at the 3M site, it looks like FI is listed as a rubbing compound so I`ll probably just use SMR because based on the description at the 3M web site it sounds more like what I want to use:

<em class=`bbc`>"Designed for dark colored vehicles. Quickly removes light surface imperfections, swirl marks, light oxidation or minor stains, and produces a deep rich, swirl-free finish. Excellent for hand polishing applications. Clear coat safe. No wax or silicone."[/i]

Post Thanks / Like
    The older red Miatas were not clearcoated (pre 99 or so?) and are famous for oxidizing badly. Having said that, my colleage uses the Meg`s 3 step system on his 91 and it really looks great.

Best of luck,

Robert
    Good judgement comes from experience, which often comes from bad judgment.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Meguiars 3-step is not the greatest as a prep for Zaino.

the 3M polishes are the way to go. I have found that using the FI-II will take off oxidation, follow with SMR to get back a glossy shine. Be sure to wash after SMR and before Zaino to get rid of the SMR hazing and the minimal fillers SMR has.

#7 is only fillers, and will do nothing to help you out. 7 is only useful if you are going to a carnauba to top, not if you are going to a synthetic like Zaino or #20.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw the car in person finally the other day and it`s pretty badly oxidized. will I need to use buffer on the car with the FI-II? will it be a lot of work if I apply the FI-II by hand?

I haven`t tried searching yet but will 303 aerospace protectanct be good for the convertible top?

what about bring the faded dull black seats back to life?

Post Thanks / Like
    Having just done this with an old white Volvo just last weekend, I can tell you that if you`re going to try to buff out the oxidation by hand, you had better not plan to use that arm the next day. Do it by machine. Your arm with thank you for it.

I did a white Avalon today and borrowed my brother`s PC. It was so much more pleasant. I am going to get myself one this month. No way around it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 31st330i

I haven`t tried searching yet but will 303 aerospace protectanct be good for the convertible top?

what about bring the faded dull black seats back to life?

303 is what I use on mine, I like it quite well but if you put too much on and/or don`t buff it out the product which isn`t absorbed can streak onto the paint. Some apply it literally by hand (as in using your hand to spread it around) and some use a foam brush. I usually use a towel but it doesn`t work as well b/c of the top`s texture.

As far as the seats, it`s a common problem. Some use a spray-on dye with good results. I searched this forum and found this thread but I also got this one . Duplicolor fabric dye seems to be the product of choice.

Good luck,

Robert
    Good judgement comes from experience, which often comes from bad judgment.

Thread Information