Post Thanks / Like
    I just received my Klasse Concours Kit, and I`m stoked to use it! With the current water ban in effect, I`m thinking of only washing my truck once - before claying. BTW - the truck is an `02 with 110 miles on it. This is my list:

1. Dawn Wash at DIY Bay.

2. Mother`s Clay.

3. AIO x1

4. SG x1

5. SG x1 for next 4 weeks (= 5 total SG Coats).

Between #`s 2 & 3 above, is it really necessary to wash again, or will a Supima Cotton towel wipedown of the Instant Detailer lube from the clay step be enough? I bought some EF Powerwash+, but with the ban and having to drive back to the DIY place, I`d rather skip to the Klasse porttion of my show without the second wash. Do you think skipping the second was will negatively affect this detail? Thanks again for all your input.

"Stay away from the cans; he doesn`t like the cans!"

Post Thanks / Like
    If you wipe down really well and don`t leave a film, you can get right to the Klasse AIO... It`s going to clean your paint anyway.

db

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do 1,2,3 & 4 on the same day. if you clay is cruddy and messy, then you might consider dawn or regular washing it afterwards. Or doing the AIOx2 to make sure it`s all off.

After waiting 20 minutes and buffing the AIO off you can do you first coat of SG, then do the second coat the next day. Then do the next coat the next week (or the next day) making sure you wash carefully if you`re going to wait till the next week.

You might want to consider using foam applicators for SG as well, some people like it better, some don`t.

and if at any time you have trouble buffing off the dried up haze, add some water to your towel or the panel.

have fun detailing, that stuff is the greatest :up
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    If time is an issue, keep in mind that you do _not_ have to wait to buff AIO. It`s designed for apply-buff immediately afterwards. Sometimes I let it dry, sometimes I don`t. I usually don`t as it becomes more abrasive when you buff it dry and thus would most likely remove some of itself.

:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    .......let me know about how long it takes for you to clay your pick-up.....and any other tips that might fit under the heading ".....hmmmm, next time I do this I`ll........". I`m about to embark (within the next few weeks) on the same procedure on my 2002 F150 extended cab.

Thanks, and good luck on your truck

ernie

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve & Puterbaum,

Thanks for confirming my intentions. My main concern was the residue left from the Instant Detailer when I clay. Since the AIO is a polisher / cleaner, I`d do it twice in lieu of washing with my EF Powerwash+ if the clay step was a little messy. I`d also plan on buffing out the AIO as I finish an area on my truck (hood, trunk, etc.). The SG step will have at least a 20 minute cure time before I buff it out (apply it to the entire truck, wait a few, and then buff).

Ernie,

I`ll post back with my detailing experiences; I`m sure they`ll be a few "Lessons Learned". BTW - my truck is also F-150 SC.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are worried about the clay leaving any kind of mess, you might want to consider doing the clay step while washing your car. Since your car is an `02, I`m assuming that your car will only require light claying. While washing your car (make sure your car isn`t extremely dirty), simply clay each panel right after soaping it. Car soap provides an excellent lube for claying your car.

HTH

Note: A few people report that the Griot`s claybar doesn`t work as efficiently when using car soap as lube I`ve tried both methods using the Mother`s bar and the Zaino bar with equally good results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good tip; I`ll keep that in mind when I`m washing in my driveway once the water ban is lifted. For now, I`ll keep them two separate steps for now, as it`ll probably cost me $40 to wash / clay sequentially at a Do-it-yourself facility. I hate being timed when detailing!!

Thread Information