Thread: New Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope to get my new 2002 Gp GTP in about a month. Can`t wait.

Paint = Black-Sapphire Metallic, Dark taupe leather interior.

1) When I receive should I wax & polish right away?

2) What products protects the leather the best?

Opinions: 1) I have been told that you do not need to wax a clear coat finish. That it would just build up these coatings making the finish look dull over time. Incresing the swirls.

2)Wax & polish like any other regular painted car, on a regular basis which are formulated for clear coat.

If I should wax, which I have on every other car what is the best products out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    The clear coat is paint treat it that way and you will do just fine.I would not let the dealer clean the car at all.The paint should be cured by the time you get the car so a good wash checking the paint for imperfections and then a coat of wax or sealant is the first step to protecting your new rides paint.Enjoy your new car :up

Post Thanks / Like
    All the domestic and most imports owners manuals provide guidelines on this subject. (helped write two of the big threes new section for 2002 models), and yes, wax or better yet , use a polymer sealant.

Never, ever listen to the dealership sales person regarding these matters!

Ketch

:up
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi buldog, welcome to the club.

If you are fairly new to car detailing and car care products then I highly recommend buying David`s e-book: Autopia Car Care`s Guide To Detailing.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/accgtd.html

Although I have years of experience with detailing I still found the book very informative and entertaining. It`s well worth the modest price.

The book will help you with techniques, tools, tips, and tricks, but best of all it helps you to create an overall vision of car care that can be applied to any car you own. Starting with a brand new car is the best canvas possible for your detailing creation and the advice in the book will help you maintain that showroom new look and feel.

After you`ve read the book and ordered some of the products suggested, this forum is a great place to ask specific question to your unique challenges. We even have several resident Canucks who can offer advice on how to maintain your car through your balmy, sun-filled winters; I lived in Nova Scotia fo three years and understand how much fun it is to keep your car looking good thru the 9 months of winter you get

When you get the GP all detailed to perfection be sure to post pics.

Good luck.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the crew buldog!

A layer or 3 of good wax or sealant will protect your clearcoat from contaminants while making it easier to wash and maintain a nice shine. There are many different products on the market for this purpose. Lately I have been using Klasse All In One and Sealant Glaze with excellent results.

<em class=`bbc`>clic pic[/i]
    http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1666_2231857

Post Thanks / Like
    Buldog,

Bretfraz is correct :up

I have the book and recomend it also. Its nice to have all the info in one spot ,instead of reading thru searched threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to agree with the salesman comment. Those guys often don`t know much about detailing. You would be much better off asking questions here and/or buying the E-book. Laters

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello buldog,

All I have to say is Zaino Bros. That is what you want. I just purchase a 2002 Black-Sapphire Metallic GTP Coupe. I went through the same thing as you are about to go through. I was lucky I have a kool dealer, they did not touch the paint. At my request I removed the plastic protection. All they did was service the rest of the car {ie.. state insp. and check fluids and Gased it up]. When I picked it up I removed the plastic protection and drove it home.
    THe Following weekend I did the following

Dawn
    Removed the glue residue from the plastic protection
    Dawn
    Z1
    Z2

and So far that is it.

and It is as smooth as glass.

Weather has not been warm enough since then to put a coat of Z5 on yet, but it is holding up excellently.

With that color it is weekly washer for sure. I have been using Z7 car wash since I polished it.

BTW Take a look at Http:\\www.clubgp.com. I am there everyday. Great info on our Car. and a great bunch of guys.

Congrats on the New car. I know the excitement your are feeling right now, and this will be the Longest month of your life...LOL

Joe Council

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info.
    Found a dealer in Canada that supplies zaino,
    Will be contacting them soon.
    http://www.car-fanatic.com/

Thread Information